24 May 2016, London – Aviva plc, the global insurance company has announced Group CEO Mark Wilson as the first FTSE 100 CEO to sign up to the Executive Committee commitment outlined by the 30% Club. Wilson has underlined his support of gender diversity as a business imperative. Aviva has shown its commitment to a minimum sustainable level of women on its Executive Committee, by already achieving the 30% goal ahead of the 2020 target.
Brenda Trenowden, Global Chair of the 30% Club, said: “Aviva is a long standing and active member of our Investor Group which focuses on tackling gender balance through constructive engagement with corporate boards. Mark’s commitment to his own Executive target is a clear sign that insightful leadership can help build the pipeline and make a real difference to gender balance within an organisation.”
Aviva plc chairman, Sir Adrian Montague, recently joined the 30% Club, underlining his own aspiration to reach the 30% goal at Board level.
Mark Wilson, CEO of Aviva plc, added: “I am delighted to take this iconic action on behalf of Aviva. If we are to sharpen our competitive edge, innovate and create the products our diverse range of customers want, then we must attract and keep a diverse range of talented people and make sure our workforce better reflects the society it serves. So it’s just good business sense to have strong capable women leaders throughout Aviva, not least on the Group Executive, where we have already hit the 30% goal.”
The 30% Club launched in the UK in 2010 with a goal of achieving a minimum of 30% women on FTSE-100 boards - currently the figure stands at 26% up from 12.5%. The Club is a group of Chairs and CEOs taking action to create a better balance of men and women at all levels of their organisations as a business imperative rather than a ‘women’s issue’. In early 2016 the 30% Club extended the scope of the above target to a goal of a minimum of 30% women on FTSE-350 boards by end 2020. In tandem with this – and in order to ensure that this 30% remains sustainable – the Club is also aiming to reach a minimum of 30% women on Executive Committees of FTSE-100 companies by 2020.
Sarah Morris, Chief People Officer of Aviva Plc, commented “Our ambition is that our workforce – at all levels – reflects our increasingly diverse customers and communities around the world. Diversity of thought, experience and backgrounds are critical ingredients in our view; we simply believe that enabling all of our people to be themselves at work is the right thing to do.”
For press enquiries please contact
Jamie Brookes: (+44) 07769 900417
Gay Collins: (+44) 07798 626 282
Georgina Whittle: (+44) 020 3128 8528
Sue Winston, Aviva: (+44) 07800 699661
Francoise Higson, ANZ
Notes to Editors
About 30% Club
The 30% Club initiative was founded by Helena Morrissey CBE, CEO, Newton Investment Management and Chair of the Investment Association. Day-to-day activities in the UK are now led by 30% Club Global Chair, Brenda Trenowden of ANZ, and a Steering Committee which includes:
Karin Barnick, Korn Ferry
Jo Bostock, Women’s Sport Trust
Tamara Box, Reed Smith
Diana Brightmore-Armour, ANZ
Jamie Brookes, Burnt Cake Media
Caroline Carr, Goldman Sachs
Gay Collins, Montfort Communications
Pavita Cooper, More Difference
Niamh Corbett, Board Intelligence
Melissa Di Donato, Salesforce
Liz Dimmock, Women Ahead
Mary FitzPatrick, GE Capital
Melanie Gee, Lazard
Deborah Gilshan, Railpen Investments
Katushka Giltsoff, The Miles Partnership
Mary Goudie, Labour Peer
Vimi Grewal-Carr, Deloitte
Claudia Harris, The Careers & Enterprise Company
Françoise Higson, ANZ
Emma Howard Boyd, ShareAction
Nick Jarman, PwC
Claudia Kohler, Newton
Emily Lawson, Kingfisher
Avril Martindale, Freshfields
Heather McGregor, Taylor Bennett
Helena Morrissey, Newton (Founder)
Elizabeth Passey, J Stern & Company
Anne Richards, Aberdeen Asset Management
Melanie Richards, KPMG
Henrietta Royle, British Bankers’ Association
Joanna Santinon, EY
Jane Scott, Professional Boards Forum
Rachel Short, Why Women Work
Claire Tracey, The Boston Consulting Group
Brenda Trenowden, ANZ (Global Chair)
Siân Westerman, Rothschild
Sarah Wiggins, Linklaters
The full list of influential members supporting the 30% Club initiative can be found at: http://30percentclub.org/members/
• Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers, across 16 markets worldwide
• In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
• Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £289 billion in assets.
• Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £30.7 billion in benefits and claims in 2015.
• By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
• The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
• For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us/aviva/
• For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/b-roll-library/
• Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
• Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
• For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva